The term “digital strategy” is already used everywhere, but we still see very different interpretations.
They confuse newbies more than help them figure it out.
We’ll cover what a digital marketing strategy is and how to develop it in a very practical way. This is our real experience, this is how we operate in the agency, working on our own and client projects.
In the material, we will answer the questions:
• what is digital strategy, or internet marketing strategy;
• at what stage of the company’s development it is needed;
• what compulsory parts it consists of and what questions it answers;
• how to develop a strategy step by step;
• how to implement the strategy in your company.
What is a “Digital Marketing Strategy”
A digital marketing strategy is a coherent set of steps based on digital marketing tools and tactics used to achieve the specific goals of your business.
Like any strategy, an internet marketing strategy is based on your goals and contains 3 essential parts:
1) identification of the current situation and the problem (or problems) due to which the goals are not achieved;
2) a schematic diagram of problem solving;
3) a set of key actions that are necessary to achieve the goals.
The goals of developing a digital strategy
The main goal of developing a digital strategy is to get a coherent, understandable and reasonable plan for achieving the set business goals.
Integrity and validity also implies a high probability (reliability) of achieving your goals (as opposed to “scrappy” actions to promote a business in a digital environment).
If you want to reliably and predictably increase sales and profits, increase market share, win the competition, you definitely need to formulate the digital strategy of the company.
When and who needs an internet marketing strategy
You and your company are ready for this if:
• have already tried (and continue to use) individual online promotion tools
• there are or have been certain positive results
• there are basic points of presence (website, possibly social networks)
• there is traffic (to the site or in social networks) and there are applications, there are sales
• but with all this, you are not satisfied with the volume of applications and sales, your goals are not being met, and you do not know how to radically change the situation.
That is, you need a certain experience and level of work with your brand and product in order to move to the level of work on a coherent, well-thought-out strategy. Therefore, if you find out your situation in this description, then you need a digital strategy. With its help, you will solve your problems.
General scheme for building a digital strategy
Like any strategy, internet marketing strategy:
• based on “What?”: What we have at the moment, what is the disposition, and what we want to achieve (what are the goals),
• and answers the question “How?”: How, through what key actions and changes do we want to achieve the goals.
Digital strategy building scheme
Acting on this plan, you will form an effective digital strategy for your company.
Take the first step!
The first step is to analyse your business, products, market, and your target audience. In our experience, this stage takes from 4-6 man-hours (minimum) to several days of work (depending on the size of your business, the number of products, etc.). A detailed description of the action plan for the analysis is in this article.